Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Friday, March 25, 2011

Free Onions

Last spring I planted some onions that I had bought in a bunch from Walmart. They grew through the summer and were mostly all ready around the same time, near the end of summer. I don’t use a whole lot of fresh onions, so I had way too many. I used what I could, and just ignored the rest. I left them alone when I dug up the rest of the garden for winter.

Winter happened, and then once the snow began to melt, nearing spring, I started to see little green shoots coming up. Even though it’s now officially spring, the sun is still eluding us, and we keep getting random blankets of snow. Yesterday, we had a break in the snow, and it was warm enough to work in the yard for a little while. I dug up a few of the sprouted onions and realized that they had been making “babies”.


Congratulations to me! I’m a grandma!

Or, at least that’s what I think is happening. I separated the few that I had dug up and replanted them in another spot. Of course, it’s snowing again today, so I don’t know what they’re doing out there, but I’m thinking I may end up with a whole herd of “free” onions this year.

I’m excited to see how this will pan out…‘cause I’m all about “free”.

No comments:

Post a Comment