Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Saturday, April 8, 2000

Random Survey: How much do you Budget for Groceries?

Tell me how much you budget for groceries each month.

(just comment below to leave your answer)

Also include the number of mouths you are feeding, and how much you actually are spending.
Do you consider eating out as part of your grocery budget, or is that a separate budget (and how much do you plan, and really spend)?
Most people consider groceries to be just food items, but if you want to include household goods like TP, soap, and toothpaste you can; just make sure you let me know that you are.

Don’t stress about answering all my questions…just as much or as little as you’d like to share.

Thanks so much for participating!
It’ll be fun to see what different people consider reasonable. I also just want to get an idea about how unrealistic I really am.

My answer (April 2011):
I budget $500 per month, to feed 6 mouths. I am including household goods as well as eating out; which means we almost never eat out. Food is easy to keep in my limits, but I’m having a hard time staying in that budget because of the household goods; and not eating out is a sacrifice. Eating at home does have its advantages, though, and creates fonder memories than going to a busy restaurant and spending lots of money. This is my proposed budget, and will be official once we actually move into our new house. At the moment it is a Challenge, just to see if I can really do it.

4 comments:

  1. We budget 340 for food, personal care items, and eating out combined. We have a family of 5 so that's including baby food, but NOT diapers and wipes. Do you price match and coupon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My budget is $50 a week (so $200 a month on most months) for groceries (food only!). We really don't eat out...but if we do, it's about once a month on a special occasion. This is for a family of 4 (two adults, two kids). I spend no more than $5 on a pack of diapers EVER...anything more than that I wait for the next sale. I hardly pay anything for my personal care items because I am constantly using coupons/rebates/register rewards and rolling them. I'm a HUGE coupon person and make a shopping list each week for the stores that I go to and stick to the list 95% of the time. I use several blogs for my shopping lists...and now that I have my new cellphone, I plan on using it to save even more with the apps I can download. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i'm impressed! you guys are awesome. i suddenly feel inadequete.
    Heather, i don't do any price matching or coupons. i can't even look at the ads in the paper. i don't think i'm mentally capable, it's all really confusing to me...i just try to be very strict about what i buy, and when i see a good sale on something i use then i will stock up.
    i do include daipers in my grocery budget, though (HOPEfully not for too much longer though, hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only spend what my wife says I can :) Just kidding I dont even think I pay that much attention when buying food.

    ReplyDelete