Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Will Work for Buns

Life is an adventure, and every day is a lesson learned. In my food life I still have a long way to go, but there are a few things that are coming along nicely. Like buns, for example. Today I made the most amazing hamburger buns, and they were so worth the effort.

Weekends always seem to bring out the hamburger craving in us, and for some reason it usually strikes at the last minute when there just isn’t time to make buns. Often we improvise with Griddled-bread-buns, just plain bread, or we skip the burgers all together. This day was different. As my honey and I were waking this morning and still laying in bed, relaxing to the lazy day ahead of us, we felt the hamburger craving sneak in.

It wasn’t even 8am yet, so there was plenty of time for buns! And even plenty of time to have buns for lunch!



So, that’s how I spent my morning: In the kitchen, with the family, and my dough. I decided to make 2 batches, so we would have leftovers, and while I was at it I made a huge batch of black bean tortillas, to freeze for later.


Cooking from scratch is really a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it you can plan ahead, develop a rhythm, and make extras to freeze for later. Although frozen food isn’t the ideal, it is so much better (and cheaper) than store bought, and so much easier than slaving away in the kitchen all day, every day.


I was so happy with my buns today, I just couldn’t stop touching them and smelling them. Delightful!

My honey made the burgers, as he does, and they were fantastic. Perfectly seasoned, nicely shaped, and cooked just right. They were juicy and tender. The kids all loved them and gobbled them up.  What an amazing, delicious combination this day turned out to be.



Related Recipes:

1 comment:

  1. Homemade buns are the ONLY way to go. Since I started making mine I can never go back to store bought. Love your blog! So fun to read and I can't wait to try a few of these recipes. :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete