Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I baked me some Spring-Time


Part of my original idea for Easter was to bake some cupcakes. I had it all planned out. The Easter bunny would bring a trail of jelly-beans, and as the kids collected them we would save them for decorating cupcakes later that day. It would be the start of a fun family tradition. Well, as the holiday progressed that plan was quickly discarded; for several reasons, but mainly as a way to Simplify.

So, since I had already purchased the cupcake papers I couldn’t let them go to waste. I decided that Spring can be just as diligently celebrated. It is a marvelous season, and so very anticipated.

Let the celebration begin!


Ok. I dug out a recipe from my hoard. It was written as a cake-in-a-baking-dish recipe, so I modified it for cupcakes. I also reviewed the altitude adjustment information and made some changes from there. And there’s one more thing I did change. I have recently (yesterday) acquired (purchased) 50 pounds of WHITE beans…and I have been DYING to use them. So, of course, I ground some into flour and added them to the cupcakes!


As with any dessert in my family, there were mixed opinions. I liked them a LOT; they’re just like little peanut-butter-cups, only in a cake! My honey said they were good. Boys and Aunt L all loved them, and girl only ate the middles; she’s funny like that…then I had an explosion of cupcake bits all over my kitchen; which is usually an indicator that they enjoyed it…


Over the next few days the little’s managed to eat cupcakes for every meal, and snack time as well. I think they were a success!

I did have a bit of indecision about how they should be stored. The frosting was a bit soft, so if I just covered them in plastic I envisioned the frosting would stick to it and make a big goopy mess. To solve that problem I put them in the fridge to harden the frosting. Then I covered them in plastic wrap. I thought it would be best to just leave them in the fridge because of the frosting. But the next morning, when they were cold they didn’t quite taste as good, and they weren’t as soft and fluffy. After that I just left them on the counter during the day, and put them in the fridge at night.

They taste SO delicious at room temperature…so, if you want to store them in the fridge make sure to pull them out in time to warm them up before serving.



Boy #2 decorated this one...isn't it cute?! he was SO proud of it!






Related Recipe:


Survey <-------don't forget the survey!

No comments:

Post a Comment