Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Friday, March 25, 2011

Hamburgers with Griddled-bread-buns

The same day that I tried to make ice cream with butter I also planned hamburgers for dinner. We had frozen ground beef, but no buns. I originally planned to make the buns (from scratch, of course) but ran out of time. So instead of making the buns I improvised. My honey took care of making the hamburgers—as he does--and grilled them on the outside bbq.
I pulled out my trusty (aka inefficient/gimpy) griddle. I used homemade wheat bread (that I already had on hand), buttered one side of each slice and toasted them on the griddle; as I would for grilled cheese sandwiches. After golden brown I flipped them over and lightly toasted the non-buttered side.
We served the buttered side facing out, and the unbuttered side touching the meat. It turned out pretty tasty, and was a good alternate to buns.

Recipes mentioned:

Hamburger buns (from scratch)
Griddled-bread-buns
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Homemade Wheat Bread
Hamburger patties

No comments:

Post a Comment