Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cinnamon rolls of Amazingness

Ok. I confess. I am a recipe collector. I have a gigantic hoard of recipes; but the strange thing is that I don’t use them. I love to look through recipe books, food magazines, and cooking websites. I find so many fabulous recipes that I just have to add to my collection. My stash is so ominous that it’s exhausting just to think about going through it. Whenever I actually need a recipe I seek out a new one instead of relying on the ones I already have. It’s a very strange habit of mine, and I really need to knock it off and clear out the rubbish. I’m setting a new goal: Ok. By the end of the year, I will have sorted through my entire stash of recipes, discarded the Terrible’s, and organized the Fabulous. Yikes! Now I’m scared. Breathe….ok, ok…I can do it.

  
To start me off in the right direction I can officially say that today I tried something new, FROM my STASH! I’ve had this recipe for like 6 years. I even think about it sometimes, which is the weird part, because it’s not like it was one that was buried and forgotten. I just haven’t been able to make myself try it. In my defense, however, it’s only been a recent development that I’ve actually been baking and cooking regularly. With this new hobby I may actually be able to get through that stack of recipes.
Drum roll…today’s recipe, #1 from the stash: Cinnamon rolls! And they were pretty amazing. I actually got a craving for them 2 days ago. I stepped out of my car in the Costco parking lot and was completely immersed in a sweet wave of fresh baked Cinnamon; but they weren’t on my list so I didn’t let myself buy any. And they were so worth the wait.

I have a really (REALLY) hard time following recipes. I don’t know why, but I just can’t do it. I have to change the amounts, add or subtract ingredients, and I do it all in a different order. That is another habit I’m trying to break (one step at a time); I need to learn to follow a recipe the first time, and then make changes afterward. I must’ve been on a roll today--I did follow the recipe! EXACTLY. Word for word. And now that’s done, I can add my 2 cents.


 Here’s a link to the full recipe, with my changes:

And here are a few changes I made from the original recipe:
They didn’t all fit in a 9x13 baking dish, as suggested. Next time I’ll use a baking sheet instead.
  

It was recommended to turn the pan over, fresh from the oven, so the filling would recoat the rolls. I didn’t have a problem with the filling dripping out, so flipping them just made a mess of my rolls; I won’t do it next time.
I also doubled the frosting because I LOVE a little roll with my frosting.
  
No forks required!

Why fight it?

But, even following the recipe exactly they turned out fabulous. Definitely a keeper, I’m adding it to the Fabulous. Even my honey agreed! And he can be quite picky.

That's one down...five million to go...
  



Related Recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment