Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Leaning Tower of…OREOS

And the best part is that I made them! And…and…and… from scratch!



These were ridiculously AMAZING. If you like Oreos—even a little--you HAVE to try this. It was the highlight of my week. They were so pretty, I felt like the proud mother of these things.  I couldn’t stop smiling and admiring them. My kids are starting to question my sanity, as I ogle food and am constantly taking pictures. I can’t even explain how it makes me feel when I see these foods that I have created come together so perfectly. This is definitely getting a little weird. But weird can be good, and I’m ok with that; such is my life.

I’ve seen this recipe on several different blogs lately and in slightly different versions. I don’t know who to give original credit to, so in the sense of fairness I’ll just call myself a “recipe recycler” and share with you my own version. That way no one is sad, and all who have a similar recipe can feel equally credited.

It fits perfectly into my theme of trying to get down to basics and make as much from scratch as I possibly can. Oreos are often a staple in my home, and my honey and I like to enjoy them in the quiet of the evening, after the kids are in bed.

 I have a hard time eating them casually. Eating Oreos is sort of an event in itself, and it has to be done right, in order to maximize the ultimate Amazing-ness of this simple pleasure. For me, it has to be in the evening, once my tummy has had plenty of time to relax from dinner. Of course, the kids also have to be in bed, and all my evening tasks need to be finished. I settle under the covers with my honey, a neatly stacked pile of 6 cookies (store bought), and a half glass of cold milk. As perfect as perfect can get.

So, I made these amazing, perfect, gorgeous cookies yesterday afternoon. In the midst of my photo shoot the kids got home from school. Girl actually threw an impressive tantrum because “they look so good, I can’t stand it…I HAVE to have one!”… She carried on like that--screaming--for an entire hour. It was very exhausting, but I suppose I can consider it a compliment? Anyway, I made them all wait until after dinner so we could enjoy them as a family; sort of creating a new Oreo ritual.

After much anticipation, the moment of truth happened. And, surprisingly, they actually tasted almost as good as they looked (I say almost because I kept them in the fridge, and so they were a little hard). It also lost some of its magic because we were eating them on a full stomach. Very important to remember, do not eat them on a full stomach. Other than that, they were superb. Girl and boy#1 enjoyed them, boy #2 said “these are so delicious I could eat them all day, every day”, and boy #3 basically took a bath in his milk, while--with a blissful glint in his eye--devoured every morsel he could get in his mouth. He was completely immersed in the whole process.

These are so easy and so good. The cream filling is identical to store bought (except better, of course) and the cookie is so very close; not identical because of the texture, but as close as you can get at home. Right out of the oven they are crisp, but if you let them sit overnight in a sealed container they soften up. I almost fell over when I ate one this morning—they were that good.  I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to buy another package of the real ones again.


Everyone has their own “Oreo ritual”...what’s yours?




Related Recipe:


No comments:

Post a Comment