Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Friday, March 25, 2011

Vanilla Ice cream into bread

The other day I was running low on grocery money, but really wanted some ice cream. I have been occasionally making homemade ice cream and use a simple vanilla ice cream recipe that requires heavy cream, half & half, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Of course, I never have any cream on hand, it’s just not something that is easy to store; and I don’t use it often enough to justify buying it without a purpose. I remembered that I had found a substitution for heavy cream and decided I would try it out. The substitution is basically butter and milk. Well, you may be laughing already, but it sounded brilliant to me. So, I tried it out. I made sure the butter melted and the sugar dissolved and it was all blended together. I poured the concoction into my ice cream maker, and waited 30 minutes. Voila! Delicious vanilla ice cream. Haha, or something like that. It smelled and looked great, but--you guessed it--the butter separated and returned to a solid form, as butter does.
We actually ate half of it, and the kids only kind of noticed that it was a little strange; I had to throw mine out after a few bites that were full of tiny balls of grease. The other half, I decided to try another experiment with. I thought that maybe if I cooked it on the stove the butter would bind with the milk, and all would be rainbows and sunshine. So, that is what I did today.
You guessed it: didn’t work. Oh well, I tried.
I hate to be wasteful and I felt bad throwing out this yummy smelling sweet liquid. So, i came up with one final experiment as a last resort to salvage. I’m not always smart enough to know when to quit and cut my losses. I threw together some more ingredients, without a recipe, and attempted to create some kind of bread out of it.


Good news, it actually turned out pretty decent. Kind of like a white sweet bread…and if you pay close attention you can even taste a hint of vanilla ice cream! I’m not a huge fan of white bread (I think I’ve developed an aversion to its unhealthiness) so I probably won’t add it to my collection of regulars, but the kids sure liked it. I think they get tired of wheat bread, and consider white a treat (kind of like ice cream—2 treats in one!).

Here are the respective recipes (click to follow the link):

Easy Vanilla Ice Cream
Heavy Cream Substitute
Vanilla Ice Cream Bread

1 comment:

  1. Today my girl child said to me "mmm...I LOVE this bread!" with such enthusiasm. I had to tell her it was made out of icecream, and that of course made it even more delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete