Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Saturday, March 25, 2000

Easy Vanilla Ice Cream

4 cups half & half
1 cup heavy cream
¾ cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt

Mix together sugar and 1 cup liquid. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir until sugar is dissolved and not grainy. Combine with rest of ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Pour into ice cream maker. Process for 30 minutes. Serve soft, or scoop into plastic container and freeze until desired firmness (1-2 hours).

*I only have a 1 quart ice cream maker, so this is scaled to fit that.
**it’s ok to sub part (or all) of the liquid with regular milk or evaporated (can) milk; but the less cream you use, the more slushy-like the ice cream turns out. But do NOT use the heavy cream substitute recipe I have posted.

Read Full Article
Recipe Index

No comments:

Post a Comment