Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Aha! It’s NOT me…it’s YOU!

As I have been wading through this disastrousness I’ve been dealing with, I finally decided to do a little research. As it turns out, my problem is neither myself, nor my flour! It is in fact the altitude (I’m above 5400 ft)…AND the weather! (if you don't know what I'm talking about read my previous post)


I don’t know why I haven’t noticed before, but I’m assuming it’s related to the changing weather and the fact that I haven’t been a consistent baker. I have noticed that my cookies usually turn out more flat than I would like. And I’ve also gone through a lot of recipes that didn’t turn out as great as the reviews claim them to be; just figuring that I have a different opinion of what’s good or not good.

I’ve always noticed the “high altitude” adjustments on the back of cake mixes and I’ve heard little snippets here and there about altitude affecting baking. But, I’ve never really believed it, and I never realized that it could make such a profound difference.

I remember growing up in California, and the cookies we baked were always so tall and fluffy. I remember baking those exact same cookies in Utah, and being disappointed at their flatness. I never put too much thought into it other than I believed I had a faulty memory of those days when I was small.

This new realization is as equally frustrating as it is relieving. I found an article that explains all about baking at high altitude. There is so much information to sort through that I think my brain may explode. I’m going to have to rethink pretty much everything I know about baking, and start from “scratch”.
I guess it’ll at least fit in with my theme here.

 So…here I go again…

Here’s the article I found:
It explains all about altitude problems, the science behind it, and gives solutions.

Here’s a general chart that is a good place to start out, when baking at high altitude:

And here’s where you can find your city’s elevation:
(enter your city as Feature Name, select Civil as Feature Class, select your State and County, and click Send Query)

I’ve listed some random Utah Elevations:

Salt Lake City, 4222
Tooele, 4862
Herriman, 4993
Draper, 4747
American Fork, 4632
Elk Ridge, 5423
Orem, 4764
Provo, 4616
Payson, 4747
Richfield, 5351
Cedar City, 5676



While your here, answer my Survey!



2 comments:

  1. Jen,
    When I was at BYU, we learned that one of the easiest remedies when baking at high altitude is to cut down on the amount of levening by about 1/3. So if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of baking powder, cut it down to 2/3 teaspoon, etc. Most recipes are created for sea level, not our mile high town. I so enjoy your blog! ~ Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks Sandy! i love to hear advice from someone who knows :)

    ReplyDelete