Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Seriously?... What’s the deal?

Ok. There is very definitely a problem here. I’ve been having a bit of disastrousness lately, and it’s rather discouraging. It seems everything I make is horribly falling apart.


First it was the waffles, and then my bread hasn’t been turning out quite right. I’ve made a few batches of cornbread that weren’t satisfactory. And I just tried a new cookie recipe that was a total flop. I can NOT figure it out, and it’s driving me nuts.

I have narrowed it down to 3 possible explanations:
 #1. I am trying too hard, and therefore overlooking simple things
#2. The weather and the altitude (rainy & wet, and I’m also at about 6000ft), and
#3. The flour I’m using isn’t very good.

I’d like to believe it’s not the first one; I want to think I’m slightly competent. The second one is plausible, but I’ve been at this elevation for 5 years, and the weather is an annual occurrence...I think I would’ve noticed before… that just leaves the flour. I did buy a very inexpensive 25lb bag of generic brand flour around the time all this started. It’s a little disappointing to think that I can’t buy inexpensive flour, but at the same time it would be great to know it’s not ME.

I once made some really delicious “chocolate crackle cookies” from a box mix I got from Costco. I’ve been searching for a “from scratch” recipe to duplicate them, but haven’t had much luck. So, I found this recipe that seemed like it would be great, and ended up with these disastrous cookies.


They tasted good, so I know they have potential, but they were like melted little blobs, sticky and shapeless.  I got the recipe out of a “Lion House” cookbook, so they should ideally be amazing. I’m posting the recipe, just in case someone else can bake without my inevitable curse. The picture in the book was way prettier than mine turned out.



Related Recipe:
Chocolate Crackle Cookies
Waffles with Blueberry Sauce
Wheat Bread
Cornbread

Recipe Index
Article Index

1 comment: