Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Who needs take-out? Not I, said the cat


I am not normally a big fan of frying foods at home. In fact, it’s taken nearly two days to recover from this one. I hate having grease splatter all over the place, and the smell of oil. But, that’s just me, I guess. Some people love it, and do it all the time.

At any rate, I LOVE this homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken. And so do my kids! And, of course, my honey loves it too. The savings are usually my favorite part about making take-out at home…but, for this recipe it actually tastes BETTER than our favorite local Chinese food place. The savings do increase my love for this recipe, as well. To feed my family our regular  take-out order we spend over $50. I roughly calculated the cost of this meal…same amount of food…and it was around $11. HUGE savings. Makes me smile.



As far as following a recipe, this one is pretty straight forward, and difficult to mess up (even for me). I did, however, make an exerted effort to follow EXACTLY, each step…I’m still bruised from my bout with the waffles.

And it went smoothly, and easy. The hardest part, for me, was cutting up all the chicken. It seems to take me forever to do that…but, that’s the same for me with any chicken recipe. So, if you are used to and comfortable with cutting up chicken this should be a breeze. Also, as I mentioned, it thoroughly greases up your kitchen. But, the leftovers are fantastic! So, make extras and avoid the mess later!

Thanks for stopping by…and happy Chicken-ing!



Related Recipe:

Newest tips added:

Article Index

No comments:

Post a Comment