Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Friday, April 1, 2011

Purple Tortillas: Best. Tacos. EVER!


Beans and tortillas. It’s a natural progression in my search for bean uses, at least in my opinion. Today I made the most amazing, soft, and purple (black bean) tortillas. They were so soft. They were also really easy to make, and the dough was easy to roll out. My favorite part was the purple color, and being April fools day, my kids thought it was a joke!


Here are some tips for making tortillas:
Let the dough rest before rolling
Roll as paper thin as possible (thin as a dime)
Lift and rotate the actual tortilla between rolls, to stretch and form the round shape
Cook on medium high heat, until bubbles form, then flip; will be softer if not overcooked
Place a clean towel inside a gallon size zipper bag, and keep the tortillas in the towel while cooking the rest. This will keep them moist and soft and not soggy.
Make a whole bunch at one time, to use for later. Store cooked tortillas in the fridge; or freezer.


I made black bean chicken tacos out of these purple tortillas, and they were SO amazing! The best tacos ever, even my picky kids ALL ate them, and asked for more.

Yay for beans!


Related Recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment