Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Wednesday, April 26, 2000

Simplify: Easter

I have dreams and delusional expectations about how I’d like to conduct the Holidays…but, I’m learned enough to at least know how much I personally can handle. For now, I’m playing it very low key.


Here’s how I simplified my Easter 2011 celebration:

We set aside ahead of time an amount of money specific for “all things Easter”.

Once Easter was commercially available I took my time perusing the different displays and advertised goodies, as I went about my regular grocery shopping (I even had it on my grocery list!).

I bought practical items for Easter baskets, things I was going to have to buy anyway…like swimming goggles, the DVD Tangled, coloring books, sidewalk chalk (all stuff I would’ve eventually bought for summer…combining two budgets into one)…

I made a logical and educated decision about the type and amount of candies I wanted, while I was in the quiet of my own home, to avoid flashy displays and sale gimmicks (that lead to buyer’s remorse).

Within a few trips, I had EVERYthing purchased and safely stashed away about 3 weeks before Easter. I was so NOT stressed (about the Holiday) that for a while I didn’t even realize it was Easter weekend. Neat!

The kids all made plenty of Easter crafts at school, so I didn’t stress about decorating eggs or doing any crafts at home. Luckily we have never instigated the “egg decorating” tradition in our family…we like the plastic filled ones better. Simplify.

The family party was taken care of; we just had to show up. I had volunteered to bring a potato salad…and planned to make it myself, but didn’t set it as a priority so I ran out of time; I bought one instead (sorry, to family).

Easter bunny brought breakfast…(see Easter breakfast post)

And for dinner, I threw a roast into the Crockpot. LOVE the Crockpot. After relaxing a bit in the afternoon I had plenty of time to make some dinner rolls, using a trusted recipe; the only difficulty I had was deciding whether to double the recipe or not.

I ended up with a few more minutes to spare, so I made some deviled eggs to go with dinner…couldn’t have Easter without eggs. And the eggs even came from the neighbors chickens; so they were brown and green, with bright orange yolks, and I could tell the kids they were real Easter eggs because they were found out in the yard. Fun!



Related Article:
Rolled and Roasted

Recipe Index
Article Index
Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment