Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Thursday, April 13, 2000

Ceramic Knives--my thoughts

I don’t have a lot of opinions about knives; at this point in my life. I may someday become and expert, or at least opinionated, but for now…a knife is a knife is a knife. I prefer serrated, because I think the sawing motion works best; especially for slicing bread. The knives I own are a cheap set that came in an 80-piece kitchen collection from Sears, about 10 years ago, or so. They still work, and I haven’t thought much about replacing them.

I was recently given, as a gift, a Yoshi blade. You may have seen them on TV, I know I had. They are made of ceramic. Seeing the commercial I was intrigued, but never enough to go buy one. Now that I own one I can give an official opinion.

I think it’s a nice little knife, overall. I especially love to use it for slicing potatoes, as the starchiness from the potato doesn’t stick to the knife. I do have a couple of complaints. Not big problems, but just things to be aware of:

First of all, as advertised, it is VERY sharp. This means, it does cut glass. I used it to slice brownies in a glass baking dish…yep, ruined my dish! Oh well. It was a cheap dish. Lesson learned.

Also, because it is made of ceramic, unlike the commercial advertises, it DOES chip. So, be very, very careful with it. And it comes with a printed list of ways to NOT use it.

It’s not supposed to go in the dish washer, either, so that’s always annoying, but not a big deal.

And, one last thing; it came with a ceramic peeler as well. The peeler is an awkward design that I’m not really comfortable with. I hate using it to peel potatoes, but it works surprisingly well for peeling apples. It also feels very cheap and flimsy. So, the peeler is nice for some things, but I’m not holding my breath on having it last forever.

All in all…I’m happy with it. And for $20 at Walmart it may be something to think about buying; not too unreasonable. Personally, because of my unrealistic cheapness, I wouldn’t buy one…but, that’s just me; and I do like owning it.


Return to TIPS

No comments:

Post a Comment