Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Wednesday, April 19, 2000

Chocolate Crackle Cookies

1/4 cup shortening, melted
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1/2-1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening, cocoa, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well mixed. Add flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well, then add walnuts and chocolate chips, if desired. (Dough will be very sticky and almost runny.) Refrigerate dough for 2-3 hours or overnight. Drop and gently roll dough by tablespoonfuls in powdered sugar, being careful not to overhandle dough. Place on a greased or wax paper-covered cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Do not overbake. The cookie dough may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days; baked cookies will store for at least 2 weeks, if well covered and refrigerated. These cookies feeze beautifully. Makes approximately 5 dozen cookies.

(original recipe from Lion House Classics, typed as written)

My notes: This is exactly how the recipe was written in the book. It should be amazing, but I had horrible luck with it; hopefully someone else can shed some light here. The cookies turned out like little puddles, even after refrigerating overnight. They tasted good though. I think it may be the flour I'm using, or the altitude, I just don't know...I followed the recipe exactly except I omitted the nuts, and I used a cookie scoop which is about a 2 tbsp portion. I baked them for 13 minutes on a stone baking sheet instead of wax-paper covered.




Related Article:

Recipe Index
Article Index

No comments:

Post a Comment