Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Tuesday, April 11, 2000

Waffles with Blueberry Sauce


Waffles:
2 eggs
2 cups unbleached white flour (or sub ½ cup wheat)
2 ½ tbsp white sugar
3 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 ¾ cup milk
½ cup canola oil
1 ½ tsp vanilla

Blueberry Sauce for topping (recipe below)

Heat waffle iron. Beat eggs in a large bowl with hand mixer. In separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients; use whisk, or fork, to combine. Add dry mix and rest of ingredients (not blueberry sauce) to eggs. Beat just until smooth.
Use cooking spray to lightly coat waffle iron. Scoop ¼ cup mix per square, onto hot iron (portion may vary depending on the size of your waffle iron—I usually do about ¾ cup for a 2 squares iron). Cook until golden brown (mine are done just after the large pillar of steam is finished).
Serve hot. Or let cool, and freeze for later (reheat in toaster).

Notes:
I like to sub part of the white flour with wheat flour; just a ½ cup or so.
I usually make at least a double batch, so I have plenty of easy meals for the kids. Just store in gallon size freezer bag; take from freezer, pop in toaster…voila!
Make blueberry sauce first; or earlier and store in fridge.
Try topping with cream cheese frosting from: Frosted Cinnamon Rolls. Yum!

Blueberry Sauce:
½ cup white sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1 cup water
2 cups frozen blueberries

In 2-qt saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Mix together using whisk. Slowly pour in water, while stirring. Turn heat to slightly above medium. Add blueberries; bring to a boil, stirring gently. Boil for 1 minute, still stirring. Remove from heat.
Serve warm or cold; Spoon over waffles.

(My kids think it’s soup! And they gobble it down)


No comments:

Post a Comment