Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Tuesday, March 28, 2000

Buying in bulk

I love buying things in bulk; but only when it makes sense, and I can use it before it expires. It’s a great way to save money, reduce trips to the store, and add to my food storage. I buy a lot of my bulk stuff at Costco, and if Costco doesn’t have it then Winco—which I have recently discovered, thanks to a friends suggestion--has pretty good deals on the other stuff. Anything I don’t buy in bulk I buy from Walmart.

I used to just buy everything at Costco, even new things I hadn’t tried, and things I didn’t use often; but I quickly learned (not quick enough though) that it doesn’t make sense to buy something in bulk if you don’t use it often. Over the past few years I’ve done a slow and thorough (and painful) clean out of my food storage, and I am finally down to having only things I use; and none expired. It was quite a process, and I felt guilty throwing out a lot of it. But it really doesn’t make sense to take up the space with something I know I won’t ever use (or is expired). After it was all said and done I’ve learned my lesson, I’m moving forward, and it feels good; lighter and refreshing.

So, when buying in bulk, even if it’s a great price, first ask yourself:
Is this something I use often?
Is this something I have used before (should I try it in a smaller amount first)?
And, will I use this much of it before it expires?

If you answer yes to all these questions, then go for it! Know that your dollar will be well spent.

Read more of my thoughts about buying in bulk in this article:
42 lbs of Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment