Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Thursday, March 30, 2000

Chocolate Pasta

Yep. I know it sounds weird. And it kind of is. But it's fun, and different, and everyone should try it at least once in their life. Keep in mind that it is not exactly sweet, so it may not be what you expect when you first try it. It can be served warm or cold, with all sorts of creative toppings. My favorite way to eat it is served cold, topped with homemade vanilla pudding, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Some other topping ideas: vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, raspberry sauce, whipped cream, powdered sugar...be creative! (let me know if you find an amazing combination)
You could even use as an edible decoration, for parties, or desserts.
I've also heard it is great with savory type sauces; I was thinking I would try it topped with enchilada sauce? Hmm...interesting

Chocolate pasta

1 3/4 cup flour (your favorite combination of : semolina, white, or wheat)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tbsp white sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp oil (I use canola)
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

(These are the directions for making by hand; you can also put all the ingredients into a stand mixer if you prefer)

In a large bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder and salt using wire whisk. Dump flour mixture onto flat work surface (or proceed in large bowl). Make a deep well (like digging a hole for a volcano) in the center of the mound and break eggs into well. Gently mix the eggs with a fork, adding oil and vanilla. Slowly allow the flour to fall into the liquid and mix together. Stir with fork until you have a soft dough. Form into ball and move to clean, lightly floured work surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes, until dough is soft, elastic and even in color. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rest (30min-1hr).

Roll dough: pinch of small piece, about the size of golf ball, and tightly re-cover rest of dough. Use pasta machine, or rolling pin. Allow sheets to dry for 20 minutes before cutting.

Cut sheets into desired pasta shapes (use pasta machine, pizza cutter, knife, or cookie cutters, etc). Allow pasta to dry again, about an hour, before cooking.



To cook: bring water to boil, over high heat, in a large pot. Add pasta. Turn heat down slightly, but make sure it is constantly boiling. Cook for about 3 minutes (or until desired tenderness).
Drain and serve, or refrigerate to serve chilled.

Related Article:
Something about Homemade Pasta
Homemade Pasta (basic recipe)
Homemade Vanilla Pudding

Recipe Index
Article Index

No comments:

Post a Comment