Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Monday, March 27, 2000

Homegrown Mint

I currently grow 2 different types of mint in my garden: Peppermint, and Apple mint
I’m pretty new to the world of mint, and am still figuring it out. But, here’s what I have learned from my own experiences (remember, these are my unprofessional observations, after growing mint in my yard for 1 year):
Growing mint in a container is a good idea for control; it can take over your garden if you aren’t careful. But, if you tend to it regularly you can plant it in the yard. I have mine in a 4 ft wide patch of dirt that borders my backyard because I want them to have plenty of room; I like to dry and use mint through winter. Of course, they are not the only thing planted there, at the moment they co-exist with my grape vines and irises.
Peppermint
The leaves are fairly small and smooth, and purplish on the underside. They seem to be pretty hardy and don’t need a lot of pampering. I grow them in a part sun part shade area of the yard. They stay pretty low to the ground, and easily send out runners.
Apple Mint
The leaves are much larger than peppermint, and are fuzzy. The stems are thicker and tend to grow taller, more like a bush. They do send out runners, but not as fervently. It is also famous for use in apple mint jelly. I plan to someday try this, but it sounds a little weird, and I may not get around to it.
Trimming mint
All of my mints are trimmed regularly, so I don’t know yet how invasive they would naturally be. I didn’t use as much apple mint last season, and it grows faster, so I ended up just trimming it and throwing away a lot of the leaves (or my little dog eats them if I leave them in the yard). I was harvesting the peppermint about once a week, but I was also being overzealous and wouldn’t get a whole lot at a time. I just use my kitchen scissors if I am harvesting, or garden clippers if I’m just taming them. I like to trim only about 1/3-1/2 of the plant at a time and leave a few inches on each stem.
Drying mint
I dried some of the apple mint, so I had a baggie full at the end of the summer, but I was mostly interested in the peppermint. I use it regularly in tea, that’s why I dry it, but I’m excited to try it fresh in recipes.
The drying process is the same for all types: trim the stems, leaving a few inches on the plant. Wash all the plants in cool water to clean off any dirt or bugs. I put them in a vegetable strainer and gently rub the leaves while running the water over them. You can choose to dry the leaves whole or chopped. I like them chopped because it works great for tea. After washing the leaves (leaving them on the stems) I shake off most of the water, and then gently dry them on paper towels (I don’t care if they are a little wet, just not dripping). Then I hold a small bunch of them, flatten the leaves along the stems, and using my kitchen shears (aka cooking scissors) I chop them into little pieces; stem and all. I then do one of two things. If I have a small batch I will just spread them on a paper towel (supported by a plate) and leave them on the counter. Throughout the day I will move them around on the plate to be sure they are drying evenly. Once they are fully dry I will store them in a plastic bag or glass jar in my pantry. If I have a larger batch I will use my food dehydrator. Spread them out on each tray, and dry for a few hours. I will check them occasionally to be sure they are not over drying. And as soon as they feel dry and crispy I will store them for later. The dehydrator is much faster, but in small batches it’s easier just on a plate.
Mint tea
Mint tea is very relaxing and delicious. Mint has soothing effects on the stomach, and many other benefits (you’ll have to look those up yourself). You can also add it to any other tea recipe (just add desired amount and follow directions for the other tea).
To make a cup of mint tea: Heat 1 cup of water to boiling (or 70 sec in microwave—I use a 2 cup glass measuring container). Measure 1-2 tsp dried mint leaves into water, and stir; let steep for 3 minutes. Pour tea through strainer into mug. Enjoy as is, or add sugar and/or milk to taste. I like it best using peppermint, but apple mint is pretty good, and you can also try a combination of different mint flavors (I plan to add spearmint to my garden when I get a chance, and then I’ll make a mix of peppermint and spearmint).
Uses for mint
Mint is very versatile and has many uses. Peppermint has medicinal properties, and my kids and I like to use it in place of antacids or pepto. Just pick a leaf or 2 and chew. You can spit out the chewed leaves, or swallow them. It’s safe for kids, but I don’t like them to use too much, just in case. You can also add fresh mint to any recipe, or use as a garnish. I plan to try putting it in the blender with ice cream to make a fresh mint milkshake. And then, of course, there is mint tea which is my favorite use for it.


Read Full Article
Recipe Index

No comments:

Post a Comment