Adventures in Eating: Cheap. Easy. and Healthy

Join me on my quest to dissect the world of eating, learn to make everything from scratch, find a more simple solution to everyday feeding, and to do it all as cheap as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I have no idea what I’m doing, and that I’m attempting to teach myself; mostly through trial and error, mixed with some internet research and advice from friends. Read more about my blog...

Tuesday, March 28, 2000

Homemade Pasta

1 ½ cup semolina flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp salt
4 eggs
¼ cup water
1 tbsp olive oil

Combine flour and salt in (mixer) bowl. In small bowl beat eggs slightly; add water and oil to eggs. Pour mixture into flour and mix until stiff dough forms (or by hand with wooden spoon). Add flour or water, a tiny bit at a time, as needed. Knead 10 minutes (in mixer, or on flat surface by hand), until dough is smooth and elastic. Wrap dough ball tightly in plastic, let rest 20-60 minutes. Roll into thin sheets (using machine or rolling pin). Cut into desired shapes.
To cook: Add to boiling, salted water. Boil for 3-5 minutes.

This is a simple, basic recipe for homemade pasta. I've used it the most often. It can be cut or shaped any way you like. I have a pasta machine with two different cutting heads: fettuccine and tagliatelle (flat spaghetti). I’ve also rolled it thin and used small cookie cutters to make animal shapes (fun!).



For more details and information about homemade pasta read this article:

No comments:

Post a Comment